TennCare Riders are enrolled in Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) that furnish them with an array of services. These include primary and acute care services and behavioral health services. Also included are long-term services and support for adults who are elderly or have disabilities. An integral part of the program is non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) such as that provided by Tennessee Carriers.
We believe all Riders are best served in integrated health care programs that are Rider centric, well managed, and accountable for assuring timely access to appropriate, cost-effective care
- We help determine whether you qualify for NEMT services and, if so, the most appropriate level of transportation.
- We schedule all of your trips to your healthcare providers. We operate a state-of-the-art call center to help you schedule your trips.
- We pick you up, carry you to your provider and return you to your home.
- If needed we will take you to your pharmacy and wait while you get your prescription filled.
- We will reimburse you for your mileage if you choose to use your own vehicle or ride with a relative or friend. You still must schedule your trip with us to qualify for reimbursement.
- We will provide you with an all-day bus ticket if you live within one quarter of a mile from a bus stop and if your healthcare provider is within one quarter of a mile from a bus stop.
- We monitor and carefully manage our transportation network to take you to and from your healthcare provider.
As a Rider and user of Tennessee Carriers non-emergency medical transportation services, your expectations should be high when it comes to getting you to and from your medical appointments safely and on time.
From your first contact with our state-of-the-art Call Center to the moment you return to your front door following your appointment, we are committed to ensuring you have a pleasant, professional transportation experience — one you would gladly recommend to your family and friends. Thank you for helping us meet our goals by being on time, answering calls and providing us with immediate notification of any schedule changes. There are a few things about transportation that you should be aware of. These are the standards for your transportation and understanding them will help you get the most out of your transportation experience:
- You can expect to be transported safely and comfortably to and from your covered appointments.
- You can expect to be picked up and dropped off in a timely manner.
- You can expect our employees to treat you with courtesy, dignity, and respect at all times.
- Transporters must follow the specific guidelines of their manifest. They cannot make unscheduled stops.
- Transporters are required to pick you up and drop you off on time. If you don’t know what time you will be ready to go home from your appointment, you will have to call to inform the transporter that you are ready to go home. When you are ready, the driver will arrive within one (1) hour of the time you call the transporter.
- When the driver arrives, the driver will make his/her presence known to you. They may honk the horn, call you on the phone, or knock on your door. If you are not there or ready within five (5) minutes, the driver will have to leave to pick up other riders. If this happens you will be counted as a no-show and may have to reschedule your trips.
- The driver can refuse to transport you if you or anyone with you, according to a reasonable person’s standards, is noticeably indisposed (disorderly conduct, indecent exposure, intoxicated), is armed with a firearm, is in possession of illegal drugs, knives and/or other weapons, commits a criminal offense, or is in any other condition that may affect the safety of the driver or other passengers.
There are certain responsibilities that you have as the rider. By performing these responsibilities you help make sure that your transportation benefit works well for you and for other riders. It will also help reduce delays and interruptions in your transportation.
- You must call the Tennessee Carriers call center to schedule each trip that you need to take. If you will be going to an appointment many times, you may be eligible to request a subscription. If your trip is not scheduled, your transportation will not be able to pick you up.
- You are responsible for letting us know at least seventy-two (72) hours in advance of your appointment whenever possible. This will help us to schedule your transportation. If your doctor identifies your trip as “urgent”, then your trip can be scheduled sooner and even the same day. We may have to verify that your appointment is urgent by calling your doctor.
- You can only use transportation to take you to and from your covered doctors’ appointments. If your insurance does not cover your appointment, you cannot use your transportation benefit to get there.
- You must provide correct information when you book your trip. If you give us the wrong addresses, times, phone numbers, or other booking information, we may not be able to serve you promptly or at all. Please make sure you have all of your information when you call to schedule.
- If there are changes to your appointments, please contact the Tennessee Carriers call center to let us know what has changed. This way we can change your trip.
- When the driver arrives to pick you up, you must be present and ready to go at the pick-up location you provided. Drivers are only able to wait for five (5) minutes. If you are not ready or present, within five (5) minutes, the driver will have to leave without you.
- You are responsible for your behavior and personal belongings while you are on the vehicle during your ride. You are expected to treat other passengers and your driver respectfully. Rude or offensive language or gestures and unwarranted physical contact are not permitted. If you have an escort or attendant, then you are responsible for their behavior as well. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- If the time for your return trip home was not already scheduled, you are responsible for calling to tell the transporter that you are ready to be picked up for your trip home.